Thread: Answered vs. Unanswered

Default Answered vs. Unanswered

While this site has been invaluable source of help and information, there are a couple things that aren't as intuitive as one would expect. The two main states that a post may exist in are Unanswered or Answered. Keeping track of posts in this way is a useful tool, and prevents user questions from falling by the wayside. However, when searching the forums for related topics these two states can be somewhat ignored because:

[LIST][*]The original posters may have their questions answered, but do not mark the post as "Answered" [*]The original poster fixes their own issue and no post is available to mark as the best choice [*]The post is not asking for a single answer, but is a survey/topic discussion/etc. [/LIST]

It seems that the current system needs to be tweaked to make the Unanswered/Answered label pertinent. This could be the ability for non-OP users to mark a "Best Answer" for approval by an admin or by an amount of votes for old posts. Allow the OP to disable the use of Unanswered/Answered for particular posts. Finally, you could modify the label or allow other labels to be attached to a post such as For Discussion, Answered by Poster, Answered by Community, Answer Awaiting Approval, etc.

Just my thoughts, let me know what you think.

Thanks for the input. I agree that most of the posts have been answered but not marked as answered. Additionally many answered posts continue with additional questions or as you mentioned Discussion.
    I'll see if we can make some more modifications to address this

Goat

Hi AdamS,

The tool does allow for the poster to 'mark best answer' -- however this isn't always done. We are making an effort go through all threads and posts and ensure that an answer has been selected. Also, in some cases additional qusetions are posted in a given thread, and in those cases we will move new questions to a separate thread.

Thanks for your feedback.

Garth
    [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=#696969]Take advantage of the easy Search function to get your questions answered quickly. With more than 1000 posts in the forum, the answer to your issue may already be waiting for you![/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=#696969]User Search box in the blue bar at the top. It's simple![/COLOR][/FONT]

Hello Garth,

I regularly make some passes on all messages to mark the best answer when applicable but it is sometimes difficult because the provided answers could have been right at a specific moment and can be wrong later according to the Composer version which is used.
    It would be great to add a particular meta tags on thread storing Composer versions. At least, each user should specify the Composer version on which his issue is occurring.

Al

Putting the Composer version on a thread is an excellent idea. Will definitely research about how to do that!
    [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=#696969]Take advantage of the easy Search function to get your questions answered quickly. With more than 1000 posts in the forum, the answer to your issue may already be waiting for you![/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=#696969]User Search box in the blue bar at the top. It's simple![/COLOR][/FONT]

Glad to heard that, thank you